Music

The average person cares about family, friends, and staying alive. I think most people care about at least one of those things. And then most people have other passions and stuff which they like a lot. Like skateboarding, surfing, writing, and cooking. A lot of people probably have a few passions. I only have one: Music. Well besides my family and friends and being alive.

I never get bored of it. If I have a chance to listen to it or make it I will. Like right now I am listening to it. I have two miniature speakers pressed against the side of my face. These amazing inventions are called headphones. They let me blast soundwaves into my brain, without annoying everyone around me with my music taste. Almost always I listen to music with headphones. But occasionally I use speakers.

The type of music I listen to now is very different to what it was 2 or 3 years ago. Back then it was mostly rap, mainly Australian artists. Before rap it was all Mum’s favourite bands like Nirvana, Pixies, Warren Zevon, Ben Harper and others that I can’t remember. The first rapper(s) that I properly listened to that weren’t Australian were Atmosphere; one of the biggest underground bands in hip hop. My knowledge of hip hop and artists grew from there. I listened to a band by the name of Carbon Carousel which was started up by a hip hop artist who is now dead. So that band only released one album. But that album had a very Nirvana-like sound. So then I slowly started to evolve from hip-hop to rock. I had a down point in my life shortly after really getting right into Nirvana. So I pretty much just sat in my room listening to every Nirvana album I had. I think this is why I like that band so much.

From there I have left hip hop behind almost completely, besides my favourites. And now I listen to the music I used to listen to when I was 6. I pretty much listen to exactly the same music as my Mum, but I like a few other bands that she doesn’t enjoy.

4 thoughts on “Music”

1. Interesting post Jack and great background! I hated the music my parents played when I was young but ended up listening to the same music when I got older. As you say our taste in music evolves.

2. I don’t like my parents music at all… but my music taste is slowly growing to something more like it.

3. Tom and Jack,
    I mentioned to you Tom about my nephew in Scotland who studied music production at university. He has a Facebook page where he puts on trailers with music he puts to it. I don’t really understand it but you would and it might interest you. His facebook page is – Callum Buchanan, Producer – in case you want to check it out.