Goats Part 1

I know that Lachlan and Nate have already written about this,  but everyone has different styles of writing, so you will be able to get something different from each of our stories.

It started on Friday. I woke up and hadn’t really planned to do anything with my friends, but then Lachlan messaged me on Facebook and asked if I was going canoeing. I decided to meet at his house so we could work from there and pick some of our friends up (Wally and Nate.) Wally wasn’t at his house but Nate was available and keen to go. His Mum took their kayak down to the river, and we entered the water quickly. Nate started rowing us across to the other side. I think the kayak only seated one person. So it worked a lot better than I imagined it to, and luckily we didn’t tip out. Although when we got to the other side and jumped out onto the sand, Nate and I were wet from our hips down. Lachlan was completely dry.

We didn’t have a plan now that we were on the other side, so we just started walking. It didn’t take us long to come across a really big puddle thingy. It turned out that it was full of mosquito larvae so we didn’t stick around long. After that I climbed a dead tree. While I was looking at the views, the two others were making “shoes.” They had picked up someone’s lost shirt, ripped it up and were tying it around their feet. After a while of trying to get down the tree I thought was stuck up, my feet touched the ground and the three of us started walking. Lachlan had half a ripped up shirt on his left foot (nothing on his right one.) And Nate had the other half on his right. We found another big puddle, except this one didn’t have baby mosquitoes in it. We looked at this water and talked about how it would be good to run away and live in the bush on our own. Then we left the giant puddle (I should stop calling it a puddle because it was about the size of a public pool.)

Anyway we left the water and walked to the top of a hill. From the top we could see every part of Kalbarri, from Eco Flora and Red Bluff to the horse ranch, and everything in between. On the other side of this hill we sat down and watched the waves. I would have happily sat there for an hour, but Lachlan and Nate wanted to go. So we made our descent.

On the way down we tried to catch some goats. We didn’t get any. But at the bottom of the hill Lachlan caught sight of a big herd of goats. I’m not sure how many but I would say about thirty of them were just chillin’. We ran at them and the herd split up. Lachlan and Nate went for one half of them, and I chased the other. The half that I had run after hadn’t started running yet and didn’t realise I was running at them until I was about a metre away. I could have easily jumped on them, but I didn’t need to because the one lagging behind fell over and played dead. I grabbed his horn, because I knew he was trying to trick me. He stood up and I called Nate and Lachlan over to take a look at our new friend. He was medium sized, not a kid, but not one of the big goats that led the heard. We named him Gilbert, and we took a few pictures of him and us together. Gilbert was let go, and we also decided to go back across the river.

This is just half of my weekend; part two is coming. Also, Nate’s parents were very helpful and kind, so if you guys are reading this, thankyou.

2 thoughts on “Goats Part 1”